Lesser roads lead to more remote and dark areas for our alumni-only new destination workshop in Central Utah. This 3-day workshop near Hanksville Utah, is specifically designed to continue your education and expand upon skills already covered in previous courses. Get away from the more popular tourist areas to this little-visited region of scattered outcrops of thousands of mushroom-shaped pinnacles, hoodoos, unusual red-brown pot marked sandstone structures, short caves, and small arches that offer some of the most alien and barren terrain in the state. Rare and endangered cacti species occupy this heavily protected area near Goblin Valley and Factory Butte, so you will be expertly guided to remote locations by hiking 2 miles each night on semi-flat dirt surfaces with rocky terrain on sand dunes, mud hills, and in twisting ravines. Every bit as beautiful as the more famous Utah national parks further south, each less-traveled location offers very dark conditions with no light interruptions therefore, there are no water sources available and you will be hiking off-trail. This advanced course is uniquely tailored for those who have already taken a workshop with Goldpaint Photography.
May 17 – 19, 2017
8 Participants Maximum
Moderate. Participants are encouraged to wear hiking shoes with a strong rubber sole.
What can I expect during an *Alumni Only* workshop and how is it different from my first class?This workshop is specifically designed to continue your education and expand upon skills already covered in previous courses. This class will be structured around new topics covering additional shooting techniques and advanced post processing methods including, but not limited to: advanced exposure blending, depth-of-field stacking, composite panoramas, luminosity masks, post light painting, noise reduction stacking, and much more.
Topics CoveredThis 3 day workshop begins with a 3 hour ‘Advanced Introduction to Landscape Astro-Photography’ class at a nearby indoor facility in Hanksville, UT. In addition, we will shoot 2 nights at numerous locations throughout Goblin Valley & Factory Butte and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this alumni workshop, we will concentrate on advancing your skills mastering the art of capturing the Milky Way and moonlit landscapes, creating star trails and composite panoramas, focus on depth-of-field stacking, and much more. Our updated 50+ page post-processing booklet will be provided to all participants. As always, during all field work we will follow ‘Leave no Trace’ principles to minimize any impact on the high desert environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a further understanding of the night sky & planning for celestial events
- Implement advanced methods for planning your shoot
- Master the art of capturing the Milky Way, exposure blending, depth-of-field stacking, composites, and more
- Learn advanced noise reduction stacking
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Understand how to blend multiple exposures, use luminosity masks, and ‘light paint’ in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
* Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. You are responsible for supplying your personal necessities. Please visit our terms & conditions for more info.