Joshua Tree National Park is located just a few hours’ drive from Los Angeles. This desert ecosystem is well known for its dark skies, which are largely free from southern California’s extreme light pollution. Giant branching yuccas studded by massive granite monoliths and rock piles, make for the most intriguing and photogenic backdrop to learn the art and technique of night sky photography. Some of the park’s premier attractions are forests of giant branching Joshua trees, massive rock formations, and seasonal gardens of cholla and ocotillo. This workshop is structured around all skill levels from beginner to advanced photographers desiring to learn more about capturing the night sky in concert with desert landscapes.
February 24 – 26, 2017
8 Participants Maximum
Topics CoveredThis 3 day workshop begins with a 4 hour ‘Introduction to Landscape Astro-Photography’ class at a nearby indoor facility in Twentynine Palms, CA. In addition, we will shoot two nights at numerous locations throughout the park, and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this workshop, we will concentrate on capturing the Milky Way and moonlit landscapes, create star trails and panoramas. You will receive a copy of our 50 page workshop booklet with step-by-step instructions about all phases of post processing for personal reference. During all field work, we will follow “Leave No Trace” principles to minimize any impact on the environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
- Appreciate the importance of planning for your shoot
- Understand the differences between shutter speed/aperture/ISO/white balance, and more
- Learn how to focus your lens at night
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, composites, and more
- Learn about light painting
- Understand noise reduction (how and when to use it)
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Learn how to blend multiple exposures together in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
* Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. You are responsible for supplying your personal necessities. Please visit our terms & conditions for more info.