You will experience factors of curiosity and adventure during this 3-day workshop, covering several locations within mountain meadows, starlit lakes and river areas of the Oregon wilderness. Each night, stars rotate silently above the seven volcanic peaks competing for space in the Central Oregon Cascade Range. The Three Sisters, Broken Top, Mount Bachelor, and Smith Rock are all wilderness locations that offer a rich and complex backdrop when illuminated under a starry night.
Come join us as we travel between two distinct eco-systems that Oregon is famously known for. You will be expertly guided to heavily forested mountain lakes offering a lush, old growth backdrop against the Milky Way. Next, we take you to the little-known and remote regions of Oregon’s wind-seared high desert. Lush wetlands border geologic formations and offer a stunning backdrop against the night sky.
July 26 – 28, 2017
8 Participants Maximum
1 Space Remains
Topics CoveredThis 3 day workshop begins with a 4 hour ‘Introduction to Landscape Astro-Photography’ class at a nearby indoor facility in Bend, OR. In addition, we will shoot two nights at numerous locations throughout the Cascade Range, and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this workshop, we will concentrate on capturing the Milky Way, create star trails and panoramas. You will receive a copy of our 50 page workshop booklet with step-by-step instructions about all phases of post processing for personal reference. During all field work, we will follow “Leave No Trace” principles to minimize any impact on the environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
- Appreciate the importance of planning for your shoot
- Understand the differences between shutter speed/aperture/ISO/white balance, and more
- Learn how to focus your lens at night
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, composites, and more
- Learn about light painting
- Understand noise reduction (how and when to use it)
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Learn how to blend multiple exposures together in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
*Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. You are responsible for supplying your personal necessities. Please visit our terms & conditions for more info.