2016 Alumni Night Sky Photography Workshop
Have you already taken a workshop with Goldpaint Photography? This workshop is just for you! We’re going to skip the typical introduction and hammer through 3 nights of non-stop shooting and top it off with a 4 hour post processing session on Saturday afternoon. This workshop will begin around 4pm on August 31st and finish at 2am on September 3rd. This workshop covers several locations within mountain meadows, starlit lakes, and river areas of the Oregon wilderness. Each night, stars rotate silently above the seven volcanic peaks competing for space in the Central Oregon Cascade Range. The Three Sisters, Broken Top, Mount Bachelor, Smith Rock, and Oregon Badlands are all wilderness locations that offer a rich and complex backdrop when illuminated under a starry night.
August 31 – September 3: 1 Space Remaining
A total of 8 alumni may participate in this workshop. This larger class size will provide greater opportunities for teamwork participation and collaboration. This workshop is tailored towards reviewing and expanding your skill set in order to refine learned techniques.
This class will include a 4-hour post processing/image critique session located in an indoor facility in Bend, OR. During this alumni workshop, we will concentrate on advancing your skills of mastering the art of capturing the night sky, refining composition, and learning advanced shooting methods in the field. Our updated Nigh Sky Photography Booklet will be provided to all participants. As always, during all field work we will follow ‘Leave no Trace’ principles to minimize any impact on mountain and desert environments.
• A DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera with at least 2-4 extra batteries (depending on your camera body) and a minimum 32gb memory card. We will be shooting in RAW format all night so you will need a large memory card and additional batteries.
• A wide angle lens, at least 24mm or wider (14mm or 16mm preferred), and f/2.8. Note: You can rent lenses and camera bodies at www.borrowlenses.com for the workshop if needed.
• Intervalometer (Click HERE for an example)
• A sturdy tripod
• Headlamp (Must include a red light. Click HERE for an example.) and flashlight
• Warm/Layered Clothing (it can get very cold)
• Extra food and/or necessities you may require (coffee and teas will be provided during the workshop)
• You will not need your computer during the shooting portion, but I recommend all participants bring a laptop to the post processing tutorial with a copy of Bridge/Photoshop installed. You can install a 30 day trial from Adobe. Click HERE for more details.
$895 per person – You must have taken a previous workshop with Goldpaint Photography
* Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. You are responsible for supplying your personal necessities.
Booking and Refund Policy
A 50%, non refundable deposit is required to reserve your space for the workshop via Paypal using the button ‘Add to cart’ above. Sorry, because we’re on-assignment, checks cannot be accepted. The remaining balance is due 60 days prior to the scheduled workshop start date. If the remaining balance is not paid in full by July 2, 2016, your space will be forfeited. Please read our terms & conditions for cancellations and transfers before signing up.
Moderate. This workshop will require approximately 1 – 2 miles of hiking throughout each night. Please be prepared for uneven terrain, rough surfaces, and elevation gains.
Ultimately, weather is an uncontrollable factor with night sky photography. Regardless of the conditions (for example, a freak blizzard) we will stay out and shoot as long as it is safe to do so. I suggest all participants attending my workshops to arrive one day prior and stay one day later (if possible). If weather becomes an issue, we may need to be flexible and shoot the night before/after the scheduled workshop dates. Clouds play a significant role while capturing the night sky. However, even during completely overcast conditions, I promise you will come away with beautiful images, knowledge, and capabilities of capturing the night sky.
Am I allowed to bring a spouse or friend who will not be taking pictures?
Sure you can! However, due to additional permit fees, materials, logistics, etc… a 50% additional fee will be charged per person.
Accommodations & Transportation
Accommodations and transportation are not included in the workshop fee. We understand each person has different needs and may want to stay in a hotel or campsite. For those who prefer to stay in a hotel, we recommend arranging your accommodations in the SW area of Bend, OR. The group will meet for introductions and at that time, arrange to carpool, exchange information, etc. We generally try to arrange our classroom instruction in hotel meeting rooms similar to a Best Western or Holiday Inn Express, when available. You will receive a detailed itinerary after signing up for the workshop.
If you have additional questions please do not hesitate to get in touch. Fill in the contact form below and I will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible.