The Deschutes National Forest stretches out across 1.6 million acres of Central Oregon and is distinguished by its giant Ponderosa Pine trees. You will experience factors of curiosity and adventure during this 3-day workshop, covering several locations within mountain meadows, wildflowers, and starlit lakes of the Oregon wilderness. Each night, stars rotate silently above the seven volcanic peaks competing for space in the Central Oregon Cascade Range. The Three Sisters, Broken Top, and Mount Bachelor are all wilderness locations that offer a rich and complex backdrop when illuminated under a starry night. You will be expertly guided to heavily forested mountain lakes offering a lush, old growth backdrop against the brilliance of the Milky Way.
June 5 – 7, 2018
8 Participants Maximum
3 Spaces Remain
Topics CoveredThis 3 day workshop begins with a 4 hour ‘Introduction to Landscape Astro-Photography’ class at a nearby indoor facility in Bend, OR. In addition, we will shoot two nights at numerous locations throughout the Deschutes National Forest, and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this workshop, we will concentrate on capturing the Milky Way, create star trails and panoramas. You will receive a copy of our 50 page workshop booklet with step-by-step instructions about all phases of post processing for personal reference. During all field work, we will follow “Leave No Trace” principles to minimize any impact on the environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
- Appreciate the importance of planning for your shoot
- Understand the differences between shutter speed/aperture/ISO/white balance, and more
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, composites, and more
- Understand noise reduction (how and when to use it)
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Learn how to blend multiple exposures together in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
2018 Deschutes NF Night Photography Workshop: June 5 – 7, 2018
$547.50 – $1,095.00
Nonrefundable Deposit, Remaining Balance, Full Payment
*Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. A 50%, non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your space for the workshop. The remaining balance is due 60 days prior to the scheduled workshop start date. Please pay the balance in full by April 6, 2018, or your space may be forfeited. Please read our terms & conditions for more info.