Our 2019 workshop season finale will be held in Northern California’s best kept secret, Lassen Volcanic National Park. Located on the southern edge of the Cascade Range, this under-discovered wilderness area is home to remarkable bio-diversity and hydrothermal activity. Lassen is one of the oldest parks in the US and home to the Lassen Dark Sky Festival, contributing to the important role of protecting our night skies. What makes this hidden gem special is that Lassen is less known, less crowded-but no less spectacular for exploring your artistic expressions within four types of volcanic regions. You will be expertly guided around smoldering features of boiling springs and mud pots, gas vents, and natural watersheds under majestic skies. Come photograph the Milky Way’s phenomenon as it reflects off of high alpine, moonlit lakes surrounded by wildflowers, volcanic diversity, and a rich ecosystem teaming with natural and historical abundance. This workshop is structured around all skill levels from beginner to advanced photographers desiring to learn more about capturing the night sky in concert with both dark skies and moonlit wilderness landscapes.
August 22 – 24, 2019
6 Participants Maximum
5 Spaces Available
Longest hike is 3 miles round trip
Topics CoveredThis 3-day workshop begins with a 4 hour ‘Introduction to Night Sky Photography’ class at a nearby indoor facility near Chester, CA. In addition, we will shoot two nights at numerous locations throughout the park, and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this workshop, we will concentrate on capturing the Milky Way, moonlit landscapes, create star trails and panoramas. You will receive a copy of our 50-page workshop booklet with step-by-step instructions about all phases of post processing for personal reference. During all field work, we will follow “Leave No Trace” principles to minimize any impact on the environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
- Appreciate the importance of planning for your shoot
- Understand the differences between shutter speed/aperture/ISO/white balance, and more
- Learn how to focus your lens at night
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, composites, and more
- Learn how to use moonlight to your advantage
- Understand noise reduction (how and when to use it)
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Learn how to blend multiple exposures together in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
Lassen Volcanic National Park Night Photography Workshop: August 22 – 24, 2019
$647.50 – $1,295.00
Nonrefundable Deposit, Remaining Balance, Full Payment
*Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. A 50%, non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your space for the workshop. The remaining balance is due 60 days prior to the scheduled workshop start date. Please pay the balance in full by June 23, 2019, or your space may be forfeited. Please read our terms & conditions for more info.