This workshop will cover the iconic location of Mono Lake in the Eastern Sierra. This extensive and magnificent region, where the desert meets the high granite mountains, was created by a series of ancient glaciers, massive earthquakes, and erupting volcanoes. The salty region of Mono Lake lies just below the Sierra Crest to the east. Eerie skeletons of petrified stones called tufa’s, lurk between the shadows and provokes comparisons to a lunar landscape. This workshop is structured around all skill levels from beginners to professional photographers desiring to learn more about connecting the vast night sky to unique and fascinating landscapes.
May 9 – 11, 2019
6 Participants Maximum
Only 3 Spaces Remain!
Expect to hike 1-2 miles
Topics CoveredThis 3-day workshop begins with a 4 hour ‘Introduction to Landscape Astro-Photography’ class at an indoor facility in Mammoth Lakes, CA. In addition, we will shoot two nights at numerous locations throughout the Mono Lake Area, and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this workshop, we will concentrate on capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, light painting, panoramas, and much more. You will receive a copy of our 50-page workshop booklet with step-by-step instructions about all phases of post processing for personal reference. During all field work, we will follow “Leave No Trace” principles to minimize any impact on the environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
- Appreciate the importance of planning for your shoot
- Understand the differences between shutter speed/aperture/ISO/white balance, and more
- Learn how to focus your lens at night
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, composites, and more
- Learn about light painting
- Understand noise reduction (how and when to use it)
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Learn how to blend multiple exposures together in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
Mono Lake Night Photography Workshop: May 9 – 11, 2019
$647.50 – $1,295.00
Nonrefundable Deposit, Remaining Balance, Full Payment
*Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. A 50%, non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your space for the workshop. The remaining balance is due 60 days prior to the scheduled workshop start date. Please pay the balance in full by May 9, 2019, or your space may be forfeited. Please read our terms & conditions for more info.