On a clear day, Mount Shasta can be seen from over 100 miles (160 km) away. Free from big city lights, this popular destination allows you to enjoy star-filled nights under a rich and complex wilderness backdrop. This snow-covered, sacred landmark towering over Shasta/Trinity National Forest land, is just 60 miles south of the Oregon border in wooded northern California, midway between San Francisco and Portland, Oregon. Her dormant volcano peak rises 14,179 feet (4322 m) high and is the second highest volcano within the Pacific Basin’s notorious “Ring of Fire.” Water from five glaciers provide moisture for lush meadows teaming with wildflowers, great pine and red fir forests, high alpine lakes, tumbling streams and dramatic waterfalls before finally flowing down the Sacramento Valley and into the San Francisco Bay.
This 3-day workshop focuses on large, grand views with few physical demands. It is specifically structured for those who want to stay close to their vehicle, desire very little hiking and on easy terrain. This workshop is organized to accommodate all skill levels from beginner to professional photographers desiring to learn more about capturing the Milky Way and utilizing moonlight to illuminate foreground elements.
June 7 – 9, 2019
6 Participants Maximum
Contact us to be put on the waitlist
Topics CoveredThis 3 day workshop begins with a 4 hour ‘Introduction to Night Sky Photography’ class at a nearby indoor facility in Mount Shasta, CA. In addition, we will shoot two nights at numerous locations throughout the Mount Shasta Area, and end with a 4-hour post processing in-class session. During this workshop, we will concentrate on capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, and much more. You will receive a copy of our 50 page workshop booklet with step-by-step instructions about all phases of post processing for personal reference. During all field work, we will follow “Leave No Trace” principles to minimize any impact on the environment. With over 65 topics you will:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
- Appreciate the importance of planning for your shoot
- Understand the differences between shutter speed/aperture/ISO/white balance, and more
- Learn how to focus your lens at night
- Begin to master the art of capturing the Milky Way, create star trails, panoramas, composites, and more
- Understand noise reduction (how and when to use it)
- Receive personal tips and special techniques
- Learn how to blend multiple exposures together in post processing using Adobe Photoshop
- Gain new skills with advanced post processing methods in Bridge & Photoshop
What equipment do I need to bring?We encourage you to visit our ‘Workshop FAQ’s Page’ for required equipment during your workshop, itinerary examples, and much more.
Mount Shasta Night Photography Workshop: June 7 – 9, 2019
*Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodations, gear, transportation, or incidentals. A 50%, non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your space for the workshop. The remaining balance is due 60 days prior to the scheduled workshop start date. Please pay the balance in full by April 8, 2019, or your space may be forfeited. Please read our terms & conditions for more info.