Private and Small Group Workshops
For Online Landscape Astrophotography Workshops, visit goldpaintphotography.com/onlineworkshops.
What you will be learning:
• Comprehensive understanding of the night sky (Earth’s orbit, location of the Milky Way, meteor showers, moon cycles, etc.)
• Advanced camera gear and settings
• How to focus your lens at night
• How to capture the night sky (Comprehensive tutorial of capturing the Milky Way, star trails, long exposures, etc.)
• Noise reduction (how and when to use it)
• Working with light pollution
• Photographing the moon and moonlit landscapes
• Light painting techniques
• Time-Lapse photography and production
• Advanced post processing techniques
Example of a typical workshop schedule:
• Meet at first location 2-3 hours before dark (times will vary due to location and time of year) for a tutorial of camera gear/settings, techniques, and gear review
• Sunset shoot
• Travel to first night sky shooting location
• More instruction on camera settings, composition, and focusing at night
• Shoot at 2 other locations throughout the night, spending roughly 2-3 hours at each location, capturing various compositions, receiving additional instruction on camera settings, creating star trails and time-lapse videos.
• Sunrise shoot
• Break for 4-5 hours
• Overview of technique and advanced post processing (4-5 hours long)
What do I need to bring for the workshop?
• A DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) camera with at least 2 or more extra batteries and a minimum 16gb memory card. We will be shooting in RAW format all night and you will need a large memory card and additional batteries.
• A wide angle lens at least 24mm or wider and f/3.5 or faster. You can rent lenses and camera bodies at www.borrowlenses.com for the workshop if necessary.
• Intervalometer (Click HERE for an example)
• A sturdy tripod
• Headlamp (Must include a red light. Click HERE for an example.) and flashlight
• Warm clothes (it can get very cold)
• Mosquito repellent and/or headnet (they will be very active this time of year, but usually gone after sunset)
• Extra food or necessities you may require
• You will not need your computer during the shooting portion, but I recommend all participants bring a laptop to the post processing tutorial with a copy of Lightroom/Photoshop installed. You can install a 30 day trial from Adobe. Click HERE for more details.
Learn how to capture the Milky Way and star trails during the darkest skies possible. These workshops will take place during the new moon/waxing crescent phase which generally lasts 4-7 days a month.
Learn how to capture the faint Milky Way while incorporating moonlit landscapes. It’s all about timing and I will aim to schedule this workshop to capture small traces of the Milky Way with subtle lit landscapes. This workshop is only available 3-4 days a month.
Learn how to create and capture star trails with moonlit landscapes. This workshop will be scheduled during the ½ – full moon phase. You will not be able to capture the Milky Way during this workshop, but I will teach and prepare you for when you are on your own. This workshop is available 15-20 days a month.
Ultimately, weather is an uncontrollable factor with night sky photography. Regardless of the conditions, for example, a freak blizzard in the middle of summer, we will stay out and shoot. I ask all participants attending my workshops to arrive one day before our scheduled meeting (if possible) in case weather becomes an issue and we end up shooting the night before. Clouds play a significant role while capturing the night sky, but even during completely overcast conditions, I promise you will come away with beautiful images, knowledge, and capabilities of capturing the night sky.
Workshops will typically be held in Central Oregon near the city of Bend. I am available to teach workshops at other locations worldwide, but traveling, accommodations, and other expenses will be added to the workshop cost.
• Private Workshop (1 person): $899
• Private Group Workshop (2-4 people): $799 per person
• Private Group Workshop (5-6 people): $699 per person
* Must be 18 or older to participate. Prices do not include meals, accommodation, gear, transportation, or incidentals. You are responsible for supplying your own necessities. I am happy to share my list of essential gear and help with arrangements to participants.
Payment must be paid directly after scheduling. Once our schedule and arrangements are finalized, I will send you an invoice with a detailed outline. Payment can be made either by check or PayPal.
Am I allowed to bring a spouse or friend who won’t be taking pictures?
Sure you can! However, due to liability, permit fees, etc… I will include a 50% fee, per person.
Unfortunately, I am unable to give refunds due to unforeseen weather events during our workshop. I will make all reasonable efforts to accommodate your schedule and needs. For more info regarding refunds and/or rescheduling, click HERE.
[si-contact-form form=’1′ bgColor=”#3b3b3b” textColor=”#ffffff”]