The Best Sony Cameras and Lenses For Night Photography
Sony has become one of the leading mirrorless camera manufactures. Their camera bodies are lightweight and produce spectacular image quality with large dynamic range and high ISO capabilities. A few drawbacks noticeable with Sony cameras are the battery life in previous versions (only 200 images per battery in some models), unfriendly user interface compared to Nikon or Canon, and physical ergonomics.
Capturing successful images of the night sky requires powerful camera equipment. Standard camera settings for night photography range from 10-25 seconds of exposure, an aperture of f/4.0 – 2.8, and a high ISO ranging from 1600-12800. These types of camera settings create ‘noise’ in the photographs, primarily due to the long exposure and high ISO. Therefore, it is important to select a camera body capable of shooting at high ISO levels to produce clean images. Below you will find links to all of the Sony camera bodies and lenses I recommend for night photography. All links navigate to the official manufacturer’s product webpage, followed by purchasing pages to B&H and/or Amazon.
Sony Mirrorless Cameras
- Sony α7R III: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Sony α7R II: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Sony α7R: [ Amazon ]
- Sony α7S II: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Sony α7S: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Sony α7 III: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Sony α7 II: [ B & H | Amazon ]
My Top 3 Sony Camera Recommendations:
Lenses for Sony Cameras
- Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 GM: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Sigma 14mm f/1.8: [ B & H | Amazon ]
- Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8: [ B & H | Amazon ]